Cabbage is a great winter food, packed full of nutrients, and yummy in so many dishes. Two of our favourites are cabbage borscht and lazy cabbage rolls. As you know I like things the simple, lazy way. I make simple bread with almost no work and a lazy Pelmeni soup. Why do more work if less is so yummy ;).
These lazy cabbage rolls are without tomato sauce. We like it this way, and it kind of distinguishes the dish from the real cabbage rolls more. The dish has its very own taste to it. Super yummy! We like lazy cabbage rolls served with mashed potatoes. Actually, we put it on top of the mashed potatoes. It’s so good!
Now let’s get started with the recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- ⅓ or 3 cups cabbage (shredded)
- ⅓ cup rice (preferably white rice)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- Fry the ground beef in a pan, breaking it into small pieces while it's cooking.
- In a separate pot pre-cook the rice until the rice has absorbed most of the water (1/3 cup rice to ⅔ cup water).
- Add onions after the meat is ready and then add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Fry the onions until they look a bit glassy, then add the cabbage.
- Add the pre-cooked rice and stir.
- Turn the heat on low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add some water if needed to prevent from burning.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.