You know how it goes: There is always more zucchini in the garden than we can eat. This year I wanted to find another way to preserve them. Usually, I store some in the cold room, zucchini does store well for a few months, and I also dehydrate and freeze them. But zucchini can do so much more, and there is plenty to work with. See also a dozen ways to preserve zucchini.
Lots of other vegetables are ripening fast along with summer squash and need to be preserved. This recipe works with any summer squash. Also, any pepper variety can be used. Since it meant to be a bit more spicy use Annabel type papers instead of sweet peppers.
I came across this Russian recipe using all homegrown vegetables that sounded wonderful. The original name is “Тещин язык” meaning the tongue of his mother-in-law. I know eh what a name!
Canned Zucchini Tongue is a spicy recipe, if you prefer mild and sweet, see the zucchini salad recipe.
The Zucchini I used the first time for this recipe is the Dark Star Squash Zucchini. It is a great variety for a cool climate because it is more frost tolerant than other zucchini. The fruit also has a long shelf life and a great, creamy taste. It also is a beautiful plant with magnificent flowers and dark green-skinned fruits. Plant it in your flower garden and enjoy it!
I cut the zucchini into about 1/5 x 3 inch long slices. It is better to scoop the seeds out because they do get soft. Peeling the garden-fresh zucchini is optional. Also, after canning it several times, I noticed that we like it pieces shorter, just bite-size.
The tomatoes and peppers are simply blended in the Vitamix on low, it does the job better than a food processor. I use whatever is ripe in my garden, so it this point most of the tomatoes were yellow (Native Sun).
However, the peppers can also be sliced instead of chopped, it makes a different look. Especially if you like variety, play around with the vegetables. Different clours vegetables and cutting vegetables can make a whole new look.
We enjoy canned zucchini with some mashed or baked potatoes. It’s super yummy! Let’s make it.
Canned Zucchini Tongue Recipe
- 1 kg (6 cups) zucchini
- 1 kg (5 cups) tomatoes
- 1-2 sweet bell pepper(s)
- 1 - 3 hot pepper(s)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup 5% vinegar (see note)
- ¼ cup oil (better without)
- ½ cup sugar (or ¼ cup honey)
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt (1 teaspoon is enough)
- Cut the zucchini into long slices (about 1x3 inch).
- In a food processor or blender chop all other ingredients except the garlic.
- In a large pot bring the tomatoes, chopped garlic, and peppers, sugar (if used), salt and oil (if used) to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes
- add zucchini and stir gently so as not to break the zucchini and cook for 10 minutes
- add and vinegar, close lid and cook for another 10 minutes or till zucchini is done.
- Fill jars, wipe rims apply lids, and screw on bands
- Process in water canner for 20 minutes
Note: This is a traditional recipe with homegrown, sun-ripened ingredients, use and enjoy at your own risk. The original recipe is asking for 70 ml 9% vinegar, I adjusted it to 1 cup 5%. It is up to you how much you use just make sure it is not less than the original recipe. You can find the original recipe: here.