Canned zucchini salad is an old Russian recipe. These 3 summer vegetables combined make a very delicious dish. This recipe will change your view on zucchini forever. It is very yummy. Served as a side dish with some baked potatoes it makes a real dinner.
Traditionally the peppers and tomatoes are sliced, but if you don’t like the tomato skin in the dish you can either peel them beforehand or finely chop the tomatoes.
This is very easily done in a Vitamix on low. I find the blender does a better job than a food processor. The zucchini can also be either peeled or not, depending on the variety and size of it. I also like to add some chopped parsley.
Variety-wise I use whatever is growing in our garden. Red, yellow, or orange peppers will work. Costata Romanesco zucchini is my favorite, but any other works too.
The canned zucchini salad recipe is very similar to canned zucchini tongue but still different enough that I like to make both for variety. And there are always lots of zucchini to work with, aren’t there!? Let’s get started:
- 1 kg (6 cups) diced zucchini
- 1.5 kg (7½ cups) tomato
- 4 big bell peppers
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ½ cup sugar (Or ¼ cup honey)
- 1 tablespoon salt (1 teaspoon is enough)
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 1 cup 5% vinegar (See note)
- Wash and slice tomatoes and peppers
- Dice zucchini into ½-1 inch cubes.
- Cook tomatoes with sugar (or honey) and salt - cook for 10 minutes
- Add zucchini, peppers, and oil (if used) - cook for 10 minutes
- Add minced garlic, herbs if desired, and vinegar - cook for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars
- Wipe rims, apply lids, and screw on bands
- Process in water canner for 20 minutes
Note: This is a traditional recipe with homegrown, sun-ripened ingredients, use and enjoy at your own risk. The original recipe is asking for 1 tablespoon 9% vinegar, I adjusted it to 1 cup 5%. It is up to you how much you use. You can find the original recipe: here.