Cabbage is a great winter food, packed full of nutrients, and yummy in so many dishes. Two of our favourites are cabbage borscht and lazy cabbage rolls. As you know I like things the simple, the easy way. I make simple bread with almost no work and a lazy Pelmeni soup. Why do more work if less is just as yummy ;).
These recipe is even better in the Instant Pot. Start the pot on Saute and fry the ground beef, breaking it into small pieces while it’s cooking. Add onions and fry the onions until they look a bit glassy, then add the cabbage, the pre-cooked rice, seasoning and 1 cup broth.
Close the lid and pressure cook “Manual” for 5 minutes. Do a quick pressure release and your dish is ready.
These lazy cabbage rolls are made without a tomato sauce. We like it this way, and it kind of distinguishes the dish from the real cabbage rolls more. The dish has its very own taste to it. Super yummy! However, if you miss the tomato sauce, just use either tomato juice or crashed tomatoes instead of broth in the recipe.
We like lazy cabbage rolls served with mashed potatoes. Actually, we put it on top of the mashed potatoes. It’s so good! Read also how to make the best mashed potatoes here.
Now let’s get started with the recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- ⅓ or 3 cups cabbage (shredded)
- ⅓ cup rice (preferably white rice)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ - 1 cup broth or tomato juice
- Fry the ground beef in a pan, breaking it into small pieces while it's cooking.
- In a separate pot pre-cook the rice until the rice has absorbed most of the water (1/3 cup rice to ⅔ cup water).
- Add onions after the meat is ready and then add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Fry the onions until they look a bit glassy, then add the cabbage.
- Add the pre-cooked rice and stir.
- Add the broth as needed to prevent from burning.
- Turn the heat on low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.